Inwardleigh, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on a headstream of the river Torridge, 3A miles NNW of Okehampton station on the L. & S.W.R., was formerly called Ingerley, and is a scattered place. Post town, Exboume; money order and telegraph office, Okehampton. Acreage, 6108; population, 519. The manor belonged till the time of Edward III. to the Coffin family, and belongs now to Viscount Portman. A handsome mansion and a deer park of the Coffins were once here, but have disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £300 with residence. The church is ancient; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, and has a tower which was shattered by lightning about 1817. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Inwardleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Inwardleigh)
Online maps of Inwardleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.