Huby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Huby, a village and a township in Sutton-on-the-Forest parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4½ miles SE of Easingwold, and 3½ from ToUerton station on the N.E.R. There is a post office under Easingwold; money order office, Sutton-on-the-Forest; telegraph office, Tollerton (E.S.) The township comprises 4658 acres; population, 456. Sir G. 0. Wombwell, Bart., is lord of the manor. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a meeting-house for Friends.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Sutton on The Forest|
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Huby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: