Hovingham, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hovingham, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the vicinal Roman road from Malton to Aldborough (Isurium), near the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield railway, amid a richly-wooded and picturesque tract of country, 9 miles WNW of New Malton, and is believed to occupy the site of a Roman settlement. It was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under York, a railway station, a hotel, a church, a cemetery formed in 1882, four almshouses for aged widows, erected in 1870, and an endowed school. A Roman bath in good preservation, and a small tessellated pavement were discovered near it in 1745, and other Roman relics have been found in the neighbourhood. Three springs, said to have stimulating and aperient properties, are at a short distance from the village, and suitable baths, a spa villa and pump-room, in pleasant grounds, have been erected by the lord of the manor. The church has a fine old Saxon tower, with new stone roof, was rebuilt in 1860, comprises nave with N and S aisles, and chancel with N aisle, and shows some beautiful stone carving. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. Hovingham Hall, the seat of the Worsley. family, a modern mansion in the Italian style, is near the village, and contains some good pictures and other interesting works of art The township comprises 2853 acres; population, 565; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1076. The parish contains also the townships of Scackleton, Fryton, Wath, South Holme, Airyholme-with-Howthorpe, Colton, and Ness. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £200.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hovingham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Hovingham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hovingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hovingham (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hovingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: