Instow, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Taw and Torridge, opposite Appledore, 3 miles NNE of Bideford, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 217 miles from London. It is a pretty watering-place, rising into popular favour, commands a view over Barnstaple Bar to Lundy Island, and has a quay and a post, money order, and telegraph office. The extensive sands are the resort of the people of Bideford and Barnstaple, The parish comprises 1698 acres of land and 358 of water and foreshore; population, 677. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £110 with residence. The churcli is Later English, in good condition, and has a tower; it was restored in 1875, and a vestry was added in 1880. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Instow St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Barnstaple|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Instow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Instow (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Instow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.