Holwick, North Riding of Yorkshire
Holwick, a village and a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Laithkirk, N.R. Yorkshire. The village is near the river Tees at Wynch Bridge, which joins the counties of Durham and York, and High Force Waterfall, 12 miles NW of Bamard Castle, and 2½ from Middleton-in-Teesdale station on the N.E.R.. and occupies an interesting site amid romantic scenery. The township contains also the hamlets of Lonton and Crosthwaite. Post town, Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Middleton-in-Teesdale. Acreage, 5812, including 46 of water; population, 237. The Earl of Strathmore is lord of the manor. Service is held in the school chapel. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel. Extensive whin quarries are in the township.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Romald Kirk|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holwick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: