Holtby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Holtby, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in N.R. Yorkshire, 5 miles ENE of York, with a station on a branch of the N.E.R. Post town, York; money order and telegraph office, Stanford Bridge. Acreage of the township, 901; population, 127; of the ecclesiastical parish, 160. The manor belongs to the Agar family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £202 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1792, and thoroughly restored in 1882. Holtby, a hamlet in Hornby parish, N.R. Yorkshire, which forms with Ainderby Myers a township, 2¼ miles NNW of Bedale. Holtby Hall is a chief residence. See AIMDERBY MYRES-WITH-HOLTBY.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holtby Holy Trinity|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Holtby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holtby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holtby (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: