Hilton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Hilton, a village, a township, and a parish in the N. R Yorkshire, on the river Leven, near the boundary with Durham, 3¼ miles ESE of Yarm railway station. There is a post office under Yarm; money order and telegraph office, Yarm. Acreage, 1392; population, 112. The property belonged, in the time of Henry III., to the family of Hilton, and belongs now to the Whitley family, whose seat is Hilton Manor, a mansion erected in 1892. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £131 with residence. The church is small and ancient, and has a fine Norman arch.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stokesley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Hilton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hilton-In-Cleveland)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: