UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ilsington, Devon

Historical Description

Ilsington, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands under Haytor Rock, 7 miles NW of Newton Abbot, 3 from Bovey station on the G.W.R., and adjoins the quondam Silverbrook lead and zinc mine. It has a post office under Newton Abbot; money order and telegraph office, Bovey Tracey. The parish contains also the hamlets of Cold East, Harford, Haytor Vale, Bagtor Vale, Liverton, Sigford, and South Knighton. Acreage, 7843; population, 1000. Some ruins of an old manor house, which was the seat of the Dinhams and the Arnndells, are near the church. 'The Hay-tor Granite Works are within the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £350 with residence.½Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient, consists of nave, aisles, transepts, two chapels, and chancel, with a tower, and contains a handsome carved screen. It was thoroughly restored and reseated in 1884. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishIlsington St. Michael 
HundredTeignbridge 
Poor Law unionNewton-Abbott 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Ilsington


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ilsington from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Ilsington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

East Cold
Harford (Ilsington)
Liverton

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictTeignbridge
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTQ13
Post TownNewton Abbot