Helperby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Helperby, a village and a township in Brafferton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Swale, Similes NE of Borough-bridge, and half a mile from Brafferton station on the N.E.R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under York. Acreage, 1894; population, 565.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Helperby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Helperby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Helperby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: