Helmsley, Upper, North Riding of Yorkshire
Helmsley, Upper, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, 7½ miles NE by E of York, and half a mile from Holtby station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stamford Bridge, under York. Acreage, 883; population, 64. The manor, with Upper Helmsley Hall, belongs to the Herbert family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £70 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, rebuilt in 1888, is in the Early Norman style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upper Helmsley St. Peter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Helmsley, Upper from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Helmsley, Upper (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: