Healey, North Riding of Yorkshire
Healey, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Kirkby Malzeard and Masham parishes, N.R. Yorkshire. The township stands 2 miles W by S of Masham station on the N.E.R., and has a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Masham. The township bears the name of Healey-with-Sutton. Acreage, 5067; population of the township, 254; of the ecclesiastical parish, 682. The parish was constituted in 1849. The manor belongs to Lord Masham, who is chief landowner. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £235 with residence. The church was built in 1848, and is a cruciform edifice, with tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Healey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Healey, with Sutton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Healey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: