Haxby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Haxby, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Foss, 4½ miles NNE of York, with a station on the N.E.E. There is a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Strensall. Acreage, 2206; population, 619. There are two manors-East-End and West-End. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £800 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||York|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Haxby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haxby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Haxby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: