Ideford, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the side of Great Haldon, 2½ miles SE of Chud-leigh station on the G.W.R. branch line, and has a post office under Newton Abbot; money order and telegraph office, Chudleigh. Acreage, 1440; population, 286. Lord Clifford is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £280 with residence. The church has a pinnacled tower; in 1884 three new bells were added, and in 1887 the whole building was restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ideford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ideford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ideford (St. Mary))
Online maps of Ideford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.