Haukswell, Hauzwell, or Hakswell, North Riding of Yorkshire
Haukswell, Hauzwell, or Hakswell, two townships and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The townships are East and West Haukswell, and they lie 2½ miles N of Constable Barton station on the N.E.R., and 4½ NE of Leyburn. Acreage of East Haukswell, 1249; population, 116; acreage of West Haukswell, 892; population, 26; of the ecclesiastical parish, 247. The parish contains also the townships of Garriston and Barden, and its post town and money order office is Finghall (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Leybum. The manor contains Hauxwell Hall, an ancient mansion. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; net value,, £280 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and has an embattled tower. The churchyard contains tombs of Rnights Templars, and remains of a very ancient Saxon cross.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Haukswell St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Haukswell, Hauzwell, or Hakswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Haukswell, or Hauxwell (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: