Harwood Dale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Harwood Dale, a township in Hackness parish, N.R. Yorkshire, among the moors, 5 miles from Cloughton station on the Scarborough and Whitby line, and 9 NW of Scarborough. Post town and money order office, Hackness, under Scarborough; telegraph office, Cloughton. Acreage, -5836; population, 224. Most of the land is moor and waste, and part of the rest is arable. Lord Derwent is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The living is a rectory, conjoint with Hackness, in the diocese of York; joint gross value, £227. Patron, Lord Derwent. The church was re-built in 1862, consists of nave and apse, with spiral bell turret, and was preceded by one erected in the time of Charles IL by Sir T. P. Hoby. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. A Roman military station and remains of a Druidical circle have been found.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Scarborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Harwood Dale:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harwood Dale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harwood-Dale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Harwood Dale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: