Ide, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 2 miles SSW of Exeter station on the G.W.R., is commonly called Ede, and has a post office under Exeter; money order and telegraph office, Alphington. Acreage, 1712; population, 648. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £250 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is a plain edifice with Later English windows, and has a low embattled tower containing a peal of six bells cast in 1880. In 1884 a detached part of Exminster, known as Knowle, was amalgamated with this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ide St. Ida|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ide from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ide (St. Ida))
Online maps of Ide are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.