UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hardrow or Hardraw, North Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Hardrow or Hardraw, a village, forming with Lunds an ecclesiastical parish in High Abbotside township, Aysgarth parish, N.R. Yorkshire. The village lies on an affluent of the river Ure, 1½ mile N by W of Hawes station on the M.R. and N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hawes (R.S.O.) Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 412. Most of the surface is mountainous, and much of it is picturesque. The stream on which Hardrow lies rises on Great Shunnerfell, and runs 4 miles southward to the Ure, between the village and Hawes, and a remarkable waterfall, called Hardraw Force, one of the finest in the N of England, is formed near its mouth. The waterfall occurs in a natural amphitheatre, with vertical sides fully 100 feet high; it makes a clear leap of 99 feet, and it is possible to go behind the fall and get a very striking view of it as it shoots off from a projecting large rock. During very hard winters this fall forms a huge stalagmite of ice, reaching up the face of the rock to a height of 80 or 90 feet. In the centre of this icy pyramid the water may be seen flowing as through a glass tube. The living of Hardrow-with-Lunds is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £190 with residence. The church is a neat Gothic building, erected in 1879 by Lord Whamcliffe, in place of an older one. The parsonage was built in 1864.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishAysgarth 
RidingNorth 
WapentakeHang-West 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hardrow or Hardraw from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: