Handale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Handale, a place in Loftus parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 7½ miles E of Guisbrough. A small Benedictine nunnery was founded here in 1183 by William Percy, had ten inmates at the dissolution, and was then given to Ambrose Beckwith.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Handale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: