Grosmont, North Riding of Yorkshire
Grosmont, a village in Lythe parish, and a chapelry in Lythe, Pickering, and Whitby parishes, in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village lies on the river Esk, and on the Malton and Whitby railway, 1½ mile SE of Egton, and 6½ miles SW by W of Whitby. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) A priory was founded here in the time of King John, and was attached to the Abbey of Grosmont or Grandimont in Normandy, but no remains of it of any importance now exist. The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Population, 1514. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was built in 1842 and rebuilt in 1875. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Grosmont:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Grosmont are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: