Great Smeaton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Smeaton, Great, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Tees and the small river Wiske, 2½ miles ENE of Cowton railway station, and 7 N by W of Northallerton. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northallerton. Acreage, 1536; population, 170; of the ecclesiastical parish, 667. The ecclesiastical parish contains also the township of Horn by, and part of the township of Croft, and is united as a benefice in perpetual plurality with the parish of Appleton-upon-Wiske. The surface commands fine views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, united with Appleton-upon-Wiske; gross value, £549 with residence. The church was restored on a very ancient site, but the ancient chancel arch erected in 960 still stands, and is a very fine and interesting example of Saxon work. The church consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, and western turret. There is a parish reading-room and library, erected in 1880.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Great Smeaton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Smeaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: