Great Crakehall, North Riding of Yorkshire
Crakehall, Great, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Swale, and on the Northallerton and Hawes branch of the N.E.R., 2½ miles NW by W of Bedale, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bedale; money order and telegraph office, Bedale. Acreage, 1885; population, 444. The ecclesiastical parish includes Little Crakehall, the township of Langthorne, and part of East Brompton. Acreage, 3168; population, 638. The living is a vicarage, united with Langthorne, in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £295 with residence. " The church is a Gothic building of stone, erected in 1840, and renovated and improved in 1869, and there is a Wesleyan chapel. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Little Crakehall. There is also a church at Langthorne, built in 1877.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Crakehall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: