Huxham, a parish in Devonshire, near the river Culm, 1 mile from Stoke Canon station on the G.W.R., and 4 miles NNE of Exeter. Post town, Exeter; money order and telegraph office, Thornton. Acreage, 779; population of the civil parish. 111; of the ecclesiastical, 472. Manganese is found. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Poltimore, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is Decorated English, and consists of nave and chancel, with S porch and small bell-turret; the nave was rebuilt in 1871. Lord Poltimore is lord of the manor. There is a small paper-mill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huxham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Huxham)
Online maps of Huxham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.