Huntshaw, a parish in Devonshire, 3 miles NNE of Great Torrington, and 5 ESE of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post ofiice under Torrington; money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 2082; population, 161. The manor belonged in the time of Henry III. to Henry Fitz-Reginald, passed to the Champernowns and the Wellingtons, and belongs now to Lord Clinton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £170 with residence. Patron, Lord Clinton. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Huntshaw St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huntshaw from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Huntshaw (St. Mary Magdalene))
Online maps of Huntshaw are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.