Fingall or Finghall, North Riding of Yorkshire
Fingall or Finghall, a small village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Northallerton and Leyburn branch of the N.E.E., 5 miles E of Leyburn, and has a station, of the name of Finghall Lane, on the railway. There is a post office (R.S.O.) under Newton-le-Willows; money order and telegraph office, Newton-le-Willows. Acreage, 662; population of the township, 82; of the ecclesiastical parish, 303. The parish contains also the townships of Akebar, Hutton Hang, and Constable Burton. Acreage, 4581. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £390 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and contains monuments of the Wyvills. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fingall St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fingall or Finghall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fingall (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: