Feliskirk or Felixkirk, North Riding of Yorkshire
Feliskirk or Felixkirk, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies under the Hambleton Hills, 4½ miles NE of Thirsk railway station. Acreage, 1190; population of the township, 99; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Boltby, 753. The parish contains also the townships of Thirlby, Boltby, and Sutton-under-WhitstoneCliffe. It has a post office under Thirsk; money order and telegraph office, Thirsk. Mount St John is a mansion here, on an eminence, which was anciently the site of a commandery of the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. Ravensthorpe Manor is a modern mansion in the neighbourhood. ' The living is a vicarage, consolidated with Boltby, in the diocese of York; net value, £474 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The Church of St Felix was almost entirely rebuilt in 1860, and was constructed on the model of the previous church, and a semicircular apsidal chancel stands upon the foundations of the original chancel. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Felix-Kirk St. Felix|
|Poor Law union||Thirsk|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Feliskirk or Felixkirk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Felix-Kirk (St. Felix))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: