Huntsham, a parish in Devonshire, near the boundary with Somerset, 3½ miles E by S of Bampton station on the G.WR., and 6 NNE of Tiverton. It has a post office under Bampton; money order and telegraph office, Bampton. Acreage, 1737; population of the civil parish, 184; of the ecclesiastical, 194. The manor, with Huntsham Court and most of the land, belongs to the Troyte family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £140 with residence. The church was partly rebuilt, partly restored, in, 1858, and again enlarged in 1871. Huntsham, a village in Goodrich parish, on the SE border of Herefordshire, at a ferry on the river Wye, 4½ miles NE of Monmouth. Henry IV. in 1388, then Duke of Hereford, heard here of the birth of his heir, afterwards Henry V., and, in gratitude to the ferryman at Wilton Castle, who was the first to give him the news, gave him the right of a ferry here, a right which continued to be held by the man's descendants. A bridge was built in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huntsham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Huntsham)
Online maps of Huntsham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.