Eskdaleside or Sleights, North Riding of Yorkshire
Eskdaleside or Sleights, a joint township with Uggle-barnby, and an ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Esk, and on the Pickering and Whitby railway, 4 miles SW by W of Whitby, with a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) both of the name of Sleights. The parish comprises the villages of Sleights and Ugglebamby, and the hamlets of Ibburndale and Little Beck. Acreage, 6001; population of the township of Eskdaleside-cum-Ugglebamby, 1727; of the ecclesiastical parish, 774. Building stone is worked. The living is a vicarage, united with Ugglebamby, in the diocese of York; gross value, o£270 with residence. St John's Church, Sleights, was built in 1767; that of All Saints, Ugglebamby, was rebuilt in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Eskdaleside or Sleights from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Eskdale-Side)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: