Ellerton Abbey, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ellerton-Abbey, a township in Downhoime parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Swale, 6½ miles SW by W of Richmond. Acreage, 1665; population, 48. A Cistercian nunnery was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Warner, steward to the Earl of Richmond, and some remains of it still exist.
|Poor Law union||Richmond|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ellerton Abbey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ellerton-Abbey)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ellerton Abbey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: