East Witton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Witton, East, a village and a parish in N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4 miles SE of Leybnrn station on The N.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Middleham; telegraph office, Middleham. The parish comprises the townships of East Witton Within and East Witton Without, and the hamlets of Cover Bridge, Newstead, and Braithwaite. Acreage, 6402; population of the civil parish, 390; of the ecclesiastical, 471. The manor belongs to Lord Masham. A ruined monastery is here, and has been noticed in our article JERVAULX. A lead mine is at Braithwaite, and excellent freestone quarries are in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, Lord Masham. The church is in the Gothic style, and consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for East Witton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Witton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: