East Harlsey, North Riding of Yorkshire
Harlsey, East, a village and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles SE of Welbury station on the N.E.R., and 7 NE by N of Northallerton, and has a post office under Northallerton; money order and telegraph office, Welbury. The parish includes Mount Grace, and comprises 3057 acres; population, 315. Freestone and ironstone exist, but are not worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £59 with residence. The church is ancient but good, has a bell tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1885. Ruins of a Carthusian priory, founded in 1396 by the Duke of Surrey, are at Mount Grace, and remains of a Lady Chapel are on a neighbouring eminence.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for East Harlsey:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Harlsey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: