East Cowton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Cowton, East, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the N.E.R., and 8 miles NNW of Northallerton, under which it has a post and money order office. Acreage, 3369; population, 394. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon; value, £213 with residence. Patron, Kirby-Ravensworth Hospital. The church is good. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for East Cowton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Cowton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: