East Ayton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Ayton, East, a township and chapelry in Scainer parish, N.R. Yorkshire, near the river Derwent, ½ mile from Forge Valley station on the N.E.R., and 4 SW of Scarborough. Post town, York; money order office, Brompton; telegraph office, Scarborough. Acreage, 2492; population, 353. Ironstone occurs. There are a chapel of ease and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Earl of Londesborough is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The insurrection of 1548 began here.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Ayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: