Easingwold, North Riding of Yorkshire
Easingwold, a market-town, a township, a county district, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The town stands in a flat tract at the foot of the Howardian Hills, and has a railway station, 13 miles NNW of York. It dates from the Saxon times, and had a church at Domesday. It is irregularly built, and contains some old houses, yet presents a pleasant appearance, and it includes a square market-place of about two acres. Water-works were opened in 1891, and there is a fountain in the market-place. The town has a head post office, two banks, a town-hall of 1864, a parish church, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, an hospital, a workhouse, police and fire brigade stations, and a number of charities. The church is of mixed style, from Early English onward, and was restored in 1858; it consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with western tower. A weekly market is held on Friday, and a weekly newspaper is published. There is a large steam flour mill, a tannery, rope walks, and brick kilns. Shaw, the Life Guardsman who figured so prominently at Waterloo, was a native. The township includes the town, and comprises 7000 acres; population, 1932. So many bronze celts have been found as to indicate that an ancient British settlement was here. Roman remains have also been discovered. Several medicinal springs occur, but have not acquired much repute. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; value, £178 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. There is a grammar school, endowed by Mrs Westerman in 1781, with several free scholarships.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Easingwould All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Easingwold:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Easingwold from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Easingwould (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Easingwold are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: