Easby (Great Ayton), North Riding of Yorkshire
Easby, a village and a township in Great Ayton parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 4 miles E of Stokesley. Post town, Great Ayton (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Ayton. Acreage, 1210; population, 114. The to'wnship of Easby was transferred from the parish of Stokesley to that of Great Ayton in 1880. There is a private chapel, which was erected in 1881 by the late James Emerson, Esq., of Easby Hall, the father of John James Emerson, Esq., J.P., the present owner, who is also lord of the manor and chief landowner. A monument to the circumnavigator Cook, a tall column, was erected on Easby Heights in 1827. There is also aWesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: