Duncombe Park, North Riding of Yorkshire
Duncombe Park, the seat of Lord Feversham in N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Rye, 1 mile SW of Helmsley. It occupies a fine site, was built in 1718, after designs by Van-brugh, and was in the Doric style, rather heavy, yet very imposing. The interior included a Corinthian hall, 60 feet by 40, and an Ionic saloon, 88 feet by 2-1½, and contained a rich collection of sculptures and paintings. The grounds are extensive, and very tastefully laid out, have a terrace with an Ionic temple at one end and a Tuscan temple at the other, and command magnificent views. It was partly destroyed by fire in 1879, and most of what remained was burnt down in 1894.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Duncombe Park are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: