Danby, North Riding of Yorkshire
Danby, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in N.R. Yorkshire, lying among the moors, and divided into two parts by the river Esk, with a station on the G.N.R., and a post office under Grosmont (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Castleton. The parish comprises Castleton, Danby End, Little Fryup, and Ainthorpe. Acreage of township, 6289; population, 1198; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1230. Glais-dale Moor and Lealhoime Moor are common to the townships of Danby and Glaisdale, and comprise 11,598 acres. Danby Castle, on the brow of a hill east of the church, built about 1300 by one Latimer, is partly occupied as a farmhouse and part is used as a court leet. Danby Beacon, commanding an extensive view, is 966 feet high. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £155. Patron, Viscount Downe. The church is a building in mixed styles of architecture.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Guisborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Danby:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Danby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Danby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Danby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: