Craike or Crayke, North Riding of Yorkshire
Craike or Crayke, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, 2½ miles NE of Easingwold, and 3¾ SSW of Ampleforth railway station, with a post office under Easingwold; money order and telegraph office, Easingwold. Acreage, 2874; population, 437. Craike Hall is a chief residence. A castle in the Tudor style, square, four-storeyed, and embattled, crowns a hill commanding an extensive view; was built by Hugh Pudsey, Bishop of Durham; and occupies the site of an ancient castle of the Northumbrian kings. It was granted by Queen Elizabeth to Sir Francis Walsingham. During the Civil Wars it was dismantled, and remained so until the Waite family restored part of it and rendered it habitable in 1868. The castle and estate were sold in 1893 to the present owner, Mr Stephen Cliffe. The village is supplied with water from old draw wells; there are several chalybeate springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £500 with residence. Patrons, the Crown and the Bishop. The church is good, and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Craike St. Cuthbert|
|Poor Law union||Easingwould|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Craike or Crayke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Craike, or Crayke (St. Cuthbert))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: