Coatham, North Riding of Yorkshire
Coatham or East Coatham, a small town and ecclesiastical parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The town is situated 3 miles from the mouth of the Tees, and 6 N by W of Guisborough. Redcar railway station is in the parish. Coatham has a post and money order office under Redcar; telegraph office, Redcar. It was formerly a small fishing hamlet, but is now a watering-place much frequented for sea-bathing. There is a coastguard station here with a life-saving apparatus, a good pier built in 1875, and it is lighted with gas supplied by the Redcar, Coatham, Marske, & Salt-burn Gas Company. There is also a convalescent home. A grammar school, founded in 1700 by Sir William Turner, Knight, formerly at Kirk-Leatham, was rebuilt here in 1869 at a cost of £4000, and is in the Decorated style, with a tower; the endowment yields about £300 per annum. The parish was constituted in 1860. Population, 3681. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £160 with residence. Patrons, trustees of Kirk-Leatham Settled Estate. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Friends.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Coatham:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Coatham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: