Castleton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Castleton, a village in Danby parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 7½ miles SE of Guisborough. It has a railway station with telegraph, and a post and money order office under Grosmont (B.S.O.) A Norman castle, dating from the 12th century, formerly existed here.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Castleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: