Castle Howard, North Riding of Yorkshire
Castle-Howard, a township in Bulmer parish, N.R. Yorkshire, with a station on the N.E.R., adjacent to the river Derwent, 3 miles SW of New Malton. Post town, York; money order office, Welburn; telegraph office, Malton. The mansion is the seat of the Earl of Carlisle, and stands 3 miles NNW of the station. It occupies the site of the old castle of Henderskeife, destroyed by fire, and was built in 1702 after designs by Sir John Vanbrugh. The south front is 323 feet long, consists of a centre and two wings, and is adorned at the centre with an attached Corinthian portico. The north front also has a Corinthian centre, which is surmounted by a cupola. The great hall, situated beneath the cupola, is 35 feet square, the dining-room 27 feet by 23, the saloon 34: feet by 24, the drawing-room 27 feet by 23, the state bedroom 26 feet by 22, the museum 24 feet square, and the antique gallery 160 feet by 20. The decorations, paintings, and curiosities are exceedingly rich, and the pleasure-grounds contain statues, temples, an obelisk, a pyramid, and a grand mausoleum. Queen Victoria visited Castle-Howard in 1850, and planted a tree in the grounds.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Castle Howard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: