Carlton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Carlton, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire, on an affluent of the river Tees, 1 mile from Sex-how station on the N.E.R., and 3 miles SW of Stokesley, with a post office under Northallerton; money order and telegraph office, Stokesley. Acreage, 1358; population, 231. There formerly were extensive alum-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; value, £63 with residence. The church, restored in 1878, was destroyed by fire in 1881. There are a Wesleyan chapel and small charities.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: