Carlton (Coverham), North Riding of Yorkshire
Carlton, a village and a township in Coverham parish, N.R. Yorkshire, 5 miles SSW by W of Middleham, with a post and money order office (R.S.O.) under Middleham. Acreage, 2937; population, 199. The surface is the lower part of an upland vale, traversed by a tributary of the river Ure. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and a school-chapel under the Vicar of Coverham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton (Coverham) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Carlton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: