Butterwick, North Riding of Yorkshire
Butterwick, a township in Barton-le-Street parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, on the river Rye, 7 miles NW of New Malton. Post town, Malton. Acreage, 661; population, 69. There is a chapel of ease, erected in 1858 and altered in 1889. Lord Headley is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Barton le Street|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Butterwick:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Butterwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Butterwick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: