Holcombe Rogus, Devon
Holcombe Rogus, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the Western Canal and the boundary with Somerset, 3 miles from Burlescombe station on the G.W.R., and 6 WSW of Wellington. It has a post and money order office under Wellington; telegraph office, Burlescombe railway station. Acreage of parish, 3028; population, 629. The manor belonged for eight generations to the Norman family of Rogo, and passed to the Bluetts. Holcombe Court, the seat of the Payer family, was built in the time of James I. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £165 with residence. The church is Later English, consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with embattled tower, has been restored, and contains tombs of the Bluetts.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holcombe-Rogus All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holcombe Rogus from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holcombe-Rogus (All Saints))
Online maps of Holcombe Rogus are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.