Broughton (Appleton le Street), North Riding of Yorkshire
Broughton, a township in Appleton-le-Street parish, in the N.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles NW of Malton, which is the post town. Acreage, 866; population, 97. An hospital was founded here in the reign of Stephen by Eustace St John.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Appleton le Street|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broughton (Appleton le Street) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Broughton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: