Brompton Patrick East or Patrick Brompton, North Riding of Yorkshire
Brompton-Patrick East or Patrick Brompton, a township and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Swale, near the Northallertou and Leyburn railway, 3½ miles NW by W of Bedale, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Newton-le-Willows. Acreage, 1238; population, 163. The parish contains also the township of Newton-le-Willows, and part of the townships of Hunton, Scotton, and Arrathorne. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of Patrick Brompton and Hunton, 856. The Duke of Leeds is lord of the manor and one of the principal landowners. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Hunton, in the diocese of Ripon; value, £229. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The Church of St Patrick, which is ancient, was thoroughly restored in 1864. The Aysgarth parish school is situated in the township of Newton-le-Willows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brompton-Patrick St. Patrick|
|Poor Law union||Leyburn|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brompton Patrick East or Patrick Brompton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brompton-Patrick (St. Patrick))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: