Holcombe Burnell, Devon
Holcombe Burnell, a parish in Devonshire, on the L. & S.W.R., 4 miles W by S of Exeter. Post town, Exeter. Acreage 1853; population, 203. Holcombe House, a building of the time of Henry VIII., is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value,, £75 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with S porch and W tower; it was rebuilt, excepting the tower, in 1843.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holcombe-Burnell St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holcombe Burnell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holcombe-Burnell (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Holcombe Burnell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.