Holbeton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on an eminence W of the Erne estuary, 3½ miles SW of Modbury, and 4 SSW of Ivy Bridge station on the G.W.R. It is a large straggling place, and has a post and' money order office under Ivy Bridge; telegraph office, Ermington. The parish includes also the hamlets of Crea-combe, Ford, Membland, and Mothecombe. Acreage, 4639; population, 949. The manor belonged formerly to the Heles. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is old, cruciform, and very good, and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and coastguard station. Flete is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holbeton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holbeton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holbeton (All Saints))
Online maps of Holbeton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCreacombe Ford
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.