Hockworthy, a parish, with a scattered village, in Devonshire, adjacent to Somerset, 4 miles from Burlescombe station on the G.W.R., and 8 NE of Tiverton. It has a post office under Wellington; money order office, Holcombe Rogus; telegraph office, Greenham. Acreage, 2732; population of the civil parish, 283; of the ecclesiastical, 273. The rectoral tithes and Hockford Farm belonged formerly to Canonsleigh Abbey. Limestone and building-stone abound. The living is a vicarage in the, diocese of Exeter; value, —£2 00 with residence. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1865, and is in the Early English style; the tower had been rebuilt in 1848.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Hockworthy from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Hockworthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hockworthy)
Online maps of Hockworthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.