Aislaby (Whitby), North Riding of Yorkshire
Aislaby, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Whitby parish, N.R. Yorkshire, on the Esk river and the Whitby railway, 1 mile from Sleights station on the N.E.R., and 3 miles SW of Whitby. Post town, Sleights, under Whitby. Acreage, 1072; population, 340. A building limestone is quarried here, and was the material of Whitby Abbey and of several great modern works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; value, —£110.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Whitby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aislaby (Whitby) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aislaby, or Aysleyby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the North Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following North Riding newspapers online: